Monday, November 3, 2008

Funny Actors, Serious Roles



I just had to get this off my chest. As we've been watching Welcome to Sarajevo, I was reminded of another, albeit different in structure movie. Woody Harrelson would be an actor most people would immediately recognize fo his comedic work on the late TV series Cheers and here he is casted in a more serious role (a war-torn country probably doesn't get more serious than that). It reminded me of another time when an actor who branded purely as comedic tried out a more serious role. I'm reffering to Bill Murray in the more obscure movie, The Razor's Edge, almost two decades before he appeared in Lost in Translation.
In The Razor's Edge, Murray plays a son from a rich American family who goes on to fight in World War I and is aghast at what he sees. After the war, he goes into hiding in Paris living more down to earth. Upon its 1984 release, the movie didn't recieve the recognition it does today, people were just too use to comedic Bill Murray.

1 comment:

Kristopher said...

Nice for bringing "The Razor's Edge" in. I will check it out sometime because it may the only instance which we see a dramatic Bill Murray. Pity people did not want to see that back in the day.

- Kristopher